Are you recovering all your property expenses?

By Karyn Stroet

Many commercial leases stipulate that tenants must reimburse maintenance expenses and property running costs to the landlord.

These recoverable outgoings may include (but are not limited to) rates, insurance, water, electricity, body corporate fees, general repairs and maintenance, and in some cases land tax.

Generally, a budget outlining annual outgoings is prepared, and the tenant pays monthly contributions to cover these expenses.  At the end of the financial year these monthly installments are reconciled against actual costs, with an adjustment invoice or credit note issued to account for shortfalls or over-payments.

In order to complete the reconciliation, it’s important that thorough and accurate records of all property expenses are kept on file.  This information is used to create the balance sheet and will help provide clarity in the event of any dispute or audit.

Each lease should clearly identify what outgoings will be recovered, and provide a schedule of when the tenant will be furnished with the budget and corresponding reconciliations.

The experienced team at Ray White Commercial Bayside provides this accounting process as part of their award-winning Property Management service.  Call us today to find out more about what expenses you could be recovering.

Up to Date

Latest News

  • Understanding Damage vs Fair Wear and Tear in Commercial Rental Properties

    As property management experts, we often encounter questions surrounding the distinction between damage caused by tenants and fair wear and tear. It’s crucial for both landlords and tenants to grasp the nuances of this differentiation to ensure a smooth and fair tenancy experience. The award-winning property management team at … Read more

    Read Full Post

  • The Essential Role of Routine Inspections

    In the realm of commercial real estate management, the significance of routine inspections can’t be overstated. While not legally mandated like their residential counterparts, these inspections play a crucial role in safeguarding the interests of both property owners and tenants. It’s worth noting that although routine inspections are not legislatively … Read more

    Read Full Post